domingo, 28 de diciembre de 2008

my current obsession: Laisser Tomber Les Filles by April March

Hi again. Here in Mexico we are celebrating the equivalent of April Fool's Day, but I'm not gonna deceive you. You will get to know one current obsession.

Laisser Tomber Les Filles is a pop song written by the great crooner/songwriter/celebrity Serge Gainsbourg, one of the greatest artists France has ever seen. He used to write pop songs for female singers and he had a great success on that. This song was written for a cute french girl called France Gall, who was a squeaky-clean equivalent of Britney, Christina and those girls. The original tune -written in 1964- is really naïve, one element you would expect for a girl like France Gall.

Anyway, this was covered by rock chick April March recently in french and in english, she named that song 'Chick Habit'. A friend told me it was featured in the new Tarantino movie, Death Proof. I still don't know much about March, but it seems cool so I'll download some records when I get home.

I realised this song was featured at the latest Sonia Rykiel show but I didn't notice that so I guess t has a double importance.

My french is really poor so I ignore what does the song says, so I will be really grateful if someone posts the translation for this delightful tune. I just deciphered one line of the song that says something like 'one day you'll be crying'.

As much as I like that Naïve thing with the 60's, I prefer April March's song because it has something wicked on her voice and the guitar -I suppose- she plays. I like that kind of 60's songs, they are so enjoyable!

Here's the video for Gall's original version, I must say her voice is really cute.



Here's my current obsession, April March's cover.



And Chick Habit, the english version.



By the way, don't you love when a cover is better than the original song?


Enjoy!

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

gracias por pasar a mi blog...
asi que eres de coyoacan y estas inmerso en el mundo de la moda? :O
Me encantaria leer tus experiecias!!!

pd: te agrego al blogroll!!

saludos :D